Join Hypha Studios Board of Trustees
As a new UK arts charity championing emerging talent and widening public participation in culture, Hypha Studios is playing a key role in the future development of the arts in the UK. By increasing visibility and removing the barrier of expensive studio space, we support diverse artistic talent to take risks, realise their ambitions, and develop work within their local communities. Hypha Studios commitment to public engagement is enshrined within the application process and the artists who apply are already interested in sharing their work widely and in new ways.
Hypha Studios started in February 2021. Since then we have supported over fifty artists across the country – from Eastbourne to Penrith and from Bristol to Barking. We have saved them thousands on workspace rent and utilities. Together they have put on over a hundred events for the public.
Over the next year, we are looking to appoint a number of new Trustees who will bring a commitment to the organisation’s mission and values, and complement the range of skills and experience of our Board.
As a Trustee you will help us to:
- Support emerging and underrepresented artists and practices
- Increase access and participation within contemporary art practice
- Encourage change within the arts sector to represent the cultural diversity of the UK
You do not need to have any formal qualifications or have had previous experience as a Trustee. We are looking for people who are passionate about contemporary art and the role creativity can play within our lives.
As a member of the Board of Trustees you will:
- Ensure that HYPHA STUDIOS pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To approve the Business Plan, including overall objectives and budgets while delegating implementation to the Executive and Senior Leadership Team.
- Ensure the effective administration and operations of HYPHA STUDIOS in accordance with its strategy, budgets, and policies.
- Ensure HYPHA STUDIOS’ financial stability and sustainability.
Each trustee is expected to:
- Be committed to equality and diversity.
- Use your specific skills, knowledge, experience, and perspectives to help the board reach sound decisions.
- Contribute actively to the board’s role in giving strategic direction to HYPHA STUDIOS, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed objectives and targets
- Attend HYPHA STUDIO events as regularly as possible.
- Avoid a conflict of interest. A board member is under a duty to disclose the nature of any interest which they have in any contract to which HYPHA STUDIOS is a party.
The above list of duties is indicative only and not exhaustive. You will be expected to perform all such additional duties as are reasonably commensurate with the role.
At this time, we are particularly keen to recruit people who fulfil any of the following:
- Have knowledge or experience in income generation, fundraising, individual giving or corporate sponsorship
- Have knowledge or experience in equality, diversity and inclusion
- Have knowledge in property law.
- Have knowledge in charity law.
- Have knowledge in charity finance.
We actively welcome applications from people who identify as:
Working class or those who experience financial precarity
African, East Asian, South Asian, South East Asian, Middle Eastern, Latin American, Caribbean heritage and those belonging to groups who experience racism including people of Romany, Irish Traveller, Central Asian and West Asian heritage
Disabled, D/deaf, neurodiverse or experience long term health conditions
Being under the age of 28
Lesbian, transgender, queer, bisexual, intersex or non-binary
Please contact Anna Gaskell to apply: [email protected]